In Benicàssim you will find a destination specialised in family tourism, with an accommodation and restaurant offer adapted to all ages and especially good for children, certified safe beaches with children’s entertainment, and a wide variety of leisure and entertainment options for all the family. Some suggestions:
Where to sleep:
Enjoying nature with your family:
• Nature and Scenery cycle tourist route: A route along the cycle path that offers a healthy and peaceful way to enjoy some of Benicàssim’s natural charms. The route is circular, is 13,550 m. long and has a minimum difference in levels, adapted to both children and adults. There are several rest areas with bicycle parking.
• Family Eco-route: An ecotourism option giving parents and children the chance to get to know Benicàssim, a tourist destination between the sea and the mountains. Available in several languages
• Benicàssim – Oropesa Greenway: A marvellous route to be enjoyed on a bike* or on foot: the route passes right by the sea and crosses valleys, following the old railway that connected Benicàssim and Oropesa de Mar. On the way you can see two of the watchtowers on our coastline, built at strategic points to defend against pirate attacks. It is a flat route of 5.8 km (one way), with a low difficulty level.
* Bikes: The Municipal Sports Centre will loan you a bike for free if you leave a 50 euro deposit, which they will return when you give back the bike. See regulations here
• Family bicycle ride around the Mediterranean coast of Benicàssim. Apart from the Greenway, there are numerous other sports and open air activities on offer here, such as pedalling the Mediterranean with the kids, using greenways and safe and comfortable cycle paths. We present a simple but active open-air weekend programme which allows you to discover the Costa Azahar coastline in Castellón, starting from the family tourism town of Benicàssim. For further information please consult this section: http://www.viajarenfamilia.net/oferta_viajes/ficha_viaje.php?id=71
• Parque Natural Desierto de las Palmas, a 6 Km del centro urbano de Benicàssim:
• Visita guiada al Centro de Interpretación La Bartola con maquetas interactivas; disponen de un centro de recuperación de tortugas con numerosos ejemplares de diversas especies y de la tortuga autóctona, mediterránea. http://www.cma.gva.es/contenido_ParquesNaturales/montarparques.asp?nodo=2980&idioma=C
• There are also varied trekking routes including the Montornés Castle route, a short, easy itinerary. You can also take part in some cycle touring or horse riding.
• Of the cultural offer of the natural park, we can highlight the visit to the Monastery of the Carmelite Fathers with its excellent religious museum. See the website for further information: www.desiertodelaspalmas.com
Church visiting hours: from 10 am to 1 pm and from 4 pm to 7 pm (July and August until 8 pm)
Sacred Art Museum opening hours: Sunday mornings. Groups: please arrange a visit. Telephone: 964 30 09 50
Path of the Agujas de Santa Águeda PR 397.1:
Recently created in order to provide a series of routes starting in the old quarter.
This is a 10 km route with a difference in level of 482 m. which can be completed in around 3 hours and 45 minutes. This route showcases some of the most emblematic surroundings of Benicàssim.
The path starts and ends at the Fuente del Señor by the town hall and climbs to the highest point on the route, the Agujas de Santa Águeda, with spectacular panoramic views of the surrounding area.
• Villas Route, Scenery Route and Tradition by the Sea Route : on the northern seafront, from the hotel Voramar to the Torre de San Vicente. This is a walking route by the sea allowing walkers see the beauty of the noble summer residences of the late 19th and early 20th century, where you will see the origins of Benicàssim as a tourist town. You can download the official audioguide to Benicàssim here:
Or ask for one at the local Tourist Office: C/ Santo Tomás, 74. Telephone: 964 30 01 02 (see conditions PDF)
• Old Quarter: visits to the Church of Santo Tomás de Villanueva, the Casa de la Cultura (Culture House), the Municipal Library and the Municipal Theatre-Cinema which offers a varied programme of cinema, theatre, music, workshops, exhibitions and more all year round. The Puente de Hierro (Iron Bridge) preserves the singularity of its construction on the former railway line. Here is the largest shopping area of the town, where you can do all kinds of shopping and find typical products, gifts and souvenirs from Benicàssim.
Popular festivals: During the festivals of San Antonio Abad and Santa Águeda in January, events are held all week, of which we can highlight: the procession and blessing of the animals and dressed carts for the issuing of the “coqueta” (small blessed tart), the procession to the hermitage of Santa Águeda, and the bonfires on the eve of the San Antonio Abad celebrations.
The festivals in honour of Santo Tomás de Villanueva are held on the week of 22 September, with numerous children’s activities as well as the typical, popular shows: parties, calves, fire bulls and fireworks, and presentation and official proclamation of the Queen of the Local and Children’s Festival.
Finally, during the night of San Juan (St. John, 23 June), the prelude to another hot summer is celebrated. Tradition fills Benicàssim with magic for one night and brings residents and visitors together at midnight on the beach to wet their feet, light bonfires, and make wishes. Several associations in the town take part in the event with different programmes featuring typical dances, and cake and muscatel wine for those attending.
• Carmelite Wineries: Not to be missed! Watch the distillation process of this liquor, which follows the tradition of the monks of the past. Address: C/ Bodolz, 12. 12560. Benicàssim. Telephone: 964 30 08 49.
• Visiting hours:
• Easter, July and August from 9 am to 1.30 pm and from 4 pm to 8 pm.
• Rest of the year: from 9 am to 1.30 pm and from 3.30 pm to 6.30 pm.
• Open every day, including public holidays. Guided tour and tasting of Carmelite Liquor and Muscatel, as well as other typical products such as coffee liqueur, apple liqueur, altar wine, etc. Price: Price: 2.50 euros per person. Children (under 18): free. Groups: consult our list of discounts.
• Beaches of Benicàssim: CERTIFIED BEACHES
Bathe on the Benicàssim coast: five beaches along six kilometres of coast: Voramar, Almadraba, Torre San Vicente, Els Terrers and Heliópolis. The beaches of Benicàssim have been awarded the Blue Flag , while the Voramar and Almadraba beaches have been awarded the "Q" for Spanish Tourism Quality , for the excellence of their service and facilities. A wide variety of activities and sports are available on all of them, such as volleyball, sports fishing, sailing, keep-fit gymnastics, yoga, windsurf, several areas with games for children, and the Sea Libraries, with children’s reading amidst oases of palm trees.
• Go-carts: track open all year (rental, company and group races, cafeteria, terrace, etc.) Address: Ctra. N- 340, km. 987 – 12.560 – Benicàssim. Telephone: 964 30 36 03
• Kristal Bowling Alley: another leisure space for all ages with numerous alleys for some fun bowling. Address: Carrerasa dels Fradels s/n – 12.560 – Benicàssim. Telephone: 964 30 51 50
• Aquarama Water Park: this park has aquatic attractions for all ages: ideal for spending an unforgettable day with the whole family. It has a large number of attractions designed to ensure that children and adults can enjoy an unforgettable day: the thrilling Tropical Wave Pool, various exciting slides (like the impressive “BigSlide” or the “Kamikazes”), the over 50 metre “Space Shot”, “Elephant Island” (for the youngest visitors) or the relaxation area with “Los Lagos”, with waterfalls, swan neck jets, hydrotherapy, and more. All this, of course, with the utmost safety guaranteed by the Park’s team of lifeguards and assistants. Address: Ctra. n-340 km 986.8*a7 - Salida 46 - 12560 Benicàssim. Telephone: 964 30 33 21
• Horse riding with your family, accompanied by a monitor: You can explore scenic routes, go on excursions on horseback and take riding classes all year round, whatever your level, at the Hípica Castellón stables. Camino La Ralla, s/n. Tel: 637 50 69 90
Children’s swimming and Physiotherapy in the water : This activity goes a little further in teaching children of this age to swim, float, or dive, following a programme:
• Utilitarian: where children learn not to choke and to float in different positions.
• Fun/recreational: children go with their parents to the pool, play and have fun. Highly recommendable as a bonding activity.
• Therapeutic: great for children with physical and psychic problems such as muscle tone dysfunctions, back problems (kyphosis, lordosis, foot deformations, cerebral palsy, Down’s syndrome, etc.)
These activities can be carried out at the Centro Kinesis de Fisioterapia (physiotherapy centre)in Benicàssim. Address: Carretera del Desierto 2º, bajo. Tel: 964 30 02 75. Further information: www.kinesis.es
• Children’s cinema and theatre all year round. Cinema and theatre events are held in the Municipal Theatre all year round. You can consult our calendar of events for the dates of upcoming events and films: http://www.benicassim.org/eventos.asp
• Animación Infantil: Workshops on drawing, crafts, traditional games and activities related to environmental education are some of the options on offer to be enjoyed in open air.
Benicàssim also runs an “Enjoy Saturdays” programme. This is a programme of fun activities for children from 5 to 12 held every Saturday from 9 am to 1 pm at the Municipal Sports Centre. The activities are free and no prior registration is necessary. Number of places: up to 50 children.
Some of the activities on offer: massage workshop, brick recycling workshop, puppets, bracelet making, traditional games, juggling, board games, cooperative games, basketball, baseball, circuits with rings and balls, etc.
•Sea Libraries and Nursery: In the Central Library and the Palmeral Library, reading entertainment activities are organised in the afternoons for children from 15 months to 7 years. The activities comprise three workshops tailored to each age group. The youngest will enjoy the “Contes i bolquers” (“Tales and Nappies”) educational workshop run by the Nursery, in which an entertainer runs a short activity to develop the baby’s attention with tales, puppets and children’s songs.
The second of the workshops designed to encourage reading is “Contes de colors” (“Tales of colours”), aimed at children ages 2 to 3, which focuses on the discovery of early reading through bright books of a size and style suitable for the needs of the participants.
Finally, for children from 4 to 7, the “La màgia dels contes” (“Magic of tales”) workshop is intended to show young children the educational and leisure opportuntiies offered by the library. This is all done through storytelling and reading, turning the library into a magic place where innumerable adventures happen.
Sea Libraries: in the summer, the Sea Libraries organise reading entertainment activities, storytelling and children’s theatre.
• Benicàssim, town of festivals: Among the numerous festivals held in Benicàssim, we can highlight those for the family: the Theatre Festival and Sea Library, the Street Theatre Festival (FIB Actúa), the FIB Dance Meetingand the Rototom Sunsplash Reggae Festival, where in addition to music, a team of educators will deal with organising and developing entertainment and playing activities for children. The festival, which will take place from 21 to 28 August 2010, is the largest reggae event in Europe. For eight days there will be concerts in the evenings, while at night the dancehall will fill with rhythms and dance. There will be discussions, meetings on reggae music and Rastafarian culture, films and documentaries, photography and art exhibitions, percussion courses, African dance, capoeira and didjeridoo, meditation and alternative medicine.
• Benicàssim Mianiature Railway Park: a homage to the railway world. On Sunday mornings you can enjoy its 5” trains and locomotives, reproduced faithfully to scale, and get on its small carriages for a trip around the park. Ideal for children (open from 15 July to 15 September)
• Benicàssim – Morella: A Fusion of Sensations . If you are travelling with your family, we also suggest two of the combined offers of Benicàssim – Morella:“Adventure holidays” and “Family Holidays”. A different offer combining Benicàssim’s beaches with the artistic and cultural heritage of Morella, the capital of the Maestrazgo (see PDF leaflet)
Also consult our family tourism municipal information sheet at: